South Africans seeking entry into the UK or Ireland for Ryanair’s general information questionnaire came in African.
The Irish budget airline introduced the new policy to address the “apparently high prevalence of fraudulent South African passports” passing through the airport.
Ryanair on fire for African test
However, the test is in Afrikaans – a language spoken by less than 15% of the South African population; and the third most widely spoken language after Zulu and Xhosa.
Africans have also long been known for apartheid and the white minority. Fred Raybould said “Ryanair’s policy does not look good, racist enough.”
One netizen, known as KSW only, said: “Africans were imposed during the white dictatorship – it is the language of the racial commoners.”
‘Unofficial, childish form’
Meanwhile, Dinesh Joseph, who spoke English, 45, said in an interview that the trial felt “profiling and discrimination”.
Joseph boarded a flight from Gatwick to Lanzarote in the Canary Islands on May 18 and said he was successful until he tried to return to London on May 22.
Joseph say: “I was asked to fill out the most unofficial form, an African child to prove it, what is the highest mountain in the US that I know of?
“Full discrimination, racial profiling and breakdown”.
Ryanair African nationality test
The quiz contains 15 questions, including multiple choice, as the name of the largest city in South Africa and the current president. Other questions include:
- Is Watter van die volgende a Suid-African hoofstede? (Which of the following are the capitals of South Africa?)
- What is Suid Afrika see amptelike geldeenheid? (What is the official currency of South Africa?)
- Noem drie van Suid Afrika see amptelike story. (Name three official languages of South Africa.)
- Are you able to get the best price on South Africa? (Which side of the road should you drive in South Africa?)
- What is Suid Afrika to see international code, om te bel op die telefoon? (What is the South African telephone dialing code?)
Responding to media reports earlier this week, the UK Embassy in South Africa said South Africans were not required to take an African test to prove citizenship.
This happened after a netizen called Ponky One said a friend traveled back to the UK from Portugal and was stopped by this “new requirement for passport holders in South Africa”.
Barry Hilton version
Comedian Barry Hilton, meanwhile, tried his hand at transcribing Ryanair’s African nationality test.
He said that despite his limited Africans, he was able to “translate the Ryan Air questionnaire given to passport holders in South Africa”.
- What is a poet?
- How long should you leave rust in a cafe?
- What’s another word for the box?
- What would you call a homeless person on Table Mountain?
- How long has a robot been still turning red?
- What level of education is required to become a political candidate in South Africa?
- Explain the difference between braai and barbecue?
- How many people can you put into a commuter taxi?
- Is Boerewors a sausage or part of a Boer?
- What is another name for a cat?
- How is travel distance measured in South Africa?
- Finish the sentence: I gave him a …… ..klap
- Is chow rabbit a vegetable?
- Is Tik the first sound of a bell?
Afrikaans nationality test – ‘Racist’ Ryanair accused of discrimination Source link Afrikaans nationality test – ‘Racist’ Ryanair accused of discrimination