South Africa

After long delays, Tazne van Wyk murder trial set to begin

The trial was due to begin in the Western Cape High Court on Monday, but was postponed to give the defendant’s new lawyer time to consult.

FILE: Tazne van Wyk. Photo: @SAPoliceService.

CAPE TOWN — A man accused of killing eight-year-old Tazne van Wyk of Elsies River is back in the dock on Wednesday.

The trial was due to begin in the Western Cape High Court on Monday, but was postponed to give the defendant’s new lawyer time to consult.

This after a long postponement in May last year, apparently to give the court time to clear up a backlog of cases.

The accused faces at least 27 counts, including the abduction and murder of the eight-year-old child, 11 counts of rape, sexual assault, common assault, desecration of a corpse and incest.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said much of the trial would take place behind closed doors due to the sensitivity of the case.

He said some of the rape cases were likely to involve minors.

Tazne van Wyk was last seen alive going to a sweet shop near her Connaught Estate home in February 2020 and more than a week later police arrested her suspected killer in Cradock in Cape Town Oriental.

He led detectives to the child’s body in a storm drain along the N1 motorway near Worcester.

At the time, the accused was on parole and had been convicted of a series of crimes dating back to 1981.



After long delays, Tazne van Wyk murder trial set to begin

Source link After long delays, Tazne van Wyk murder trial set to begin

Back to top button