Business

Congo expels UN peacekeeping mission spokesman after protests – SABC News

The Democratic Republic of Congo has asked the spokesman for the UN peacekeeping force, MONUSCO, to leave the country, accusing him of fueling tensions that led to last week’s deadly protests.

Thirty-six people, including four UN peacekeepers, were killed last week when hundreds of protesters vandalized and set fire to UN buildings in several cities in eastern Congo.

Civilians accuse the mission, which has been in place for more than a decade, of failing to protect them from militant violence that has long plagued the region.

The government said the spokesman, Mathias Gillmann, had made “inappropriate and inappropriate” statements that fueled tensions between residents and MONUSCO.

“The Congolese government believes that the presence of this office in the country is not likely to promote an atmosphere of mutual trust and calm between the Congolese institutions and MONUSCO,” said the statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from July 28 last. Reuters on Wednesday.

Gillmann and a deputy spokesman for MONUSCO did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The Congolese government also said this week it would reassess the mission’s withdrawal plan in light of the protests, a decision MONUSCO said it supported.

The mission is due to withdraw in 2024 under a plan drawn up last year, but the government aims to speed up its departure, Foreign Affairs Minister Christophe Lutundula said.

Congo expels UN peacekeeping mission spokesman after protests – SABC News

Source link Congo expels UN peacekeeping mission spokesman after protests – SABC News

Back to top button