The eThewkini municipality in Durban says so reintroducing rolling blackouts from next month.
The city is excluded since April’s floods that claimed the lives of more than 400 people in KwaZulu-Natal.
Municipal spokesperson Musa Mayisela says some areas are still expected to be cut off from the power outage due to highly compromised networks.
“Well, it has now been confirmed that eThekwini will re-introduce load shedding. This is due to the municipality’s reduced contribution to compensation efforts since the April floods. Our city and Eskom are continuously working together to avoid further risks to the electricity grid of the city to avoid extensive flood damage to electrical infrastructure.
In the related video below, Eskom had said it would not implement rolling blackouts as the province dealt with devastating floods:
Possibility of rolling blackouts at short notice
Meanwhile, Eskom warned earlier on Monday that there could be rolling blackouts in the short term after five generating units collapsed at the Kriel Central.
The electricity company says that the electrical fault is due to heavy fog conditions, which is being investigated.
Eskom says its teams are working to resolve the issue.
eThekwini to reintroduce rolling blackouts in August after suspension due to floods – SABC News
Source link eThekwini to reintroduce rolling blackouts in August after suspension due to floods – SABC News