National Police Commissioner Kehla Sitole told the Human Rights Commission that they must be extremely careful when transferring resources from one province to another. during the civil unrest in July.
Sitole continued his testimony on Tuesday at the hearings of the Commission on Civil Unrest in Umhlanga in Durban.
Widespread looting and destruction of businesses has taken place in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, killing over 350 people.
Sitole says the police were working against criminals whose modus operandi was well orchestrated.
The national police commissioner said that although the unrest mainly affected KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, they received an intelligence report saying he would move to Mpumalanga and Free State.
While many testified that the police were not seen on the ground, Sitole stressed that the police were overwhelmed.
“The criminal element behind the modus operandi of the execution [is that] they were also doing their own study to see where we are transferring the resources, so they are focusing on that particular area. Therefore, when resources were shifted, we were also extremely careful. “
“We couldn’t completely move resources from province to province, but we did it proportionately as demand increased,” he adds.
Below is the live broadcast of Tuesday’s debates:
No prior warning
Earlier on Friday, KwaZulu-Natal Prime Minister Sihle Zikalala called the riots in the province embarrassing.
Zikalala said the province had not received any prior warning from state security agencies about the impending massive unrest.
He told the commission his office relied on social media posts warning of a planned shutdown.
Zikalala told the commission that on July 11, following the truck fire, he begged the president to deploy the army to restore order.
The Prime Minister also pointed out to the committee that the police and the army were poorly coordinated and lacked synergy.
He added that there did not appear to have been adequate equipment to deal with the situation.
Gauteng Prime Minister David Makhura also echoed the sentiments of other witnesses before the South African Human Rights Commission that the the police were overwhelmed during the civil unrest in July.
The video below is the committee’s live Friday proceedings:
Extreme caution had to be exercised when moving resources between provinces: Khehla – SABC News
Source link Extreme caution had to be exercised when moving resources between provinces: Khehla – SABC News