Former Angolan president Jose Eduardo dos Santos, who ran Africa’s second-largest oil producer for nearly four decades, is in intensive care at a Barcelona clinic, according to a Portuguese news agency’s Lusa’s source close to him.
The Angolan government did not respond to a request for comment on Friday, but on its Facebook page the former leader said he had suffered from deteriorating health.
Dos Santos, 79, has been in medical treatment since 2019.
“Following information about the deteriorating health of former President of the Republic Jose Eduardo dos Santos, President Joao Lourenco today held a telephone conversation with (his wife) Ana Paula… in a gesture of solidarity,” the presidency said today. Her Facebook page.
Dos Santos was admitted to the intensive care unit, Lusa said on Thursday, without saying when this happened.
One of Africa’s longest-serving leaders, dos Santos, resigned five years ago. His administration was marked by a brutal civil war that lasted for nearly three decades against US-backed UNITA rebels – which he won in 2002 – and a subsequent oil boom.
Between 2002 and 2014, when oil production rose and prices rose, Angola’s economy increased tenfold, from $ 12.4 billion to $ 126 billion. But little of that wealth went to the poor, while those closest to dos Santos became super-rich – including his daughter, Isabel, whom Forbes named Africa’s richest woman and youngest billionaire, worth about $ 3 billion.
Dos Santos was replaced in 2017 by President Joao Lourenco, who, despite being a member of the People’s Liberation Movement for Angola (MPLA), quickly began investigating allegations of multi-billion dollar corruption in the era of dos Santos, which targeted the former leader’s children. .
Last year, dos Santos returned home for the first time since he went into exile to Barcelona in April 2019.
Former Angolan leader dos Santos in intensive care – Portuguese media – SABC News
Source link Former Angolan leader dos Santos in intensive care – Portuguese media – SABC News