South Africa

Gauteng ANC confirms Khawe is on leave following domestic abuse allegations

Some ANC members called on him to step down, but the ANC said he was ready to work with the organization and would appear before the integrity commission.

FILE: Gauteng ANC Provincial Secretary Jacob Khawe. Photo: @Jacob-Lehana-Khawe-Chairperson/Facebook.com

JOHANNESBURG – The African National Congress (ANC) in Gauteng confirms that its provincial secretary, Jacob Khawe, has taken leave after his wife accused him of domestic violence.

A special meeting of the provincial executive committee (PEC) was held on Tuesday evening to deal with allegations of abuse.

Footage of his battered wife made the rounds on social media last week, claiming he physically assaulted her for some time.

READ ALSO : ANC Women’s League wants Khawe to respond to domestic abuse complaints

Some ANC members called on him to step down, but the ANC said he was ready to work with the organization and would appear before the integrity commission.

An evening PEC meeting in Gauteng unanimously reaffirmed the seriousness of gender-based violence in the country and, while it noted that Khawe denied any wrongdoing, the allegations made against him by his wife were serious for that to be hauled before the National Body Integrity Commission.

Khawe was granted leave at his own request, with his deputy, Nomantu Nkomo Ralehoko, taking over while the allegations against him are ventilated.

Eyewitness News also understands that the ANC Women’s League is set to help Khawe’s wife bring charges against him.

This scandal is hitting Gauteng as it prepares for its provincial conference in June.



Gauteng ANC confirms Khawe is on leave following domestic abuse allegations

Source link Gauteng ANC confirms Khawe is on leave following domestic abuse allegations

Back to top button