There is a growing concern about the growing tendency of students to use drugs and consume so-called “space cookies”, which are cookies that contain dew or cannabis.
Many students have had to be hospitalized recently after becoming ill from consuming these foods.
The Gauteng Department of Education is concerned about the growing tendency for students to consume so-called spaceship or space cake.
Earlier this month, 11th graders, 12 students from Randfontein High School, west of Johannesburg, were rushed to hospital after consuming space cookies, which were sold to them by another 12th grader who was later fired.
Two days after the incident, four students from Mamellong High School in Tsakane east of Johannesburg were also hospitalized after eating these cakes.
Steve Mabona, Head of Department, says: “The MEC is quite concerned and is unhappy with the continued use of these space cookies, which often makes students sick. And has encouraged students to avoid buying and consuming any of the substances that endanger their lives and health. “
Sandra Pretorius, director of the SANC Horizon Center – a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center in Boksburg on the east coast of Gauteng – says that space cakes and smoking in a fusion are equally harmful to consumers. Pretorius says those who consume space cookies have no idea how much dew has been added to the cookies, which puts consumers at risk.
“Now you eat these muffins that contain cannabis and are then digested and actually lie in your stomach and then it just dissolves. So it takes one to three hours before you can actually get the effects of cannabis. But when you smoke, you get it right away. And there is a danger in that. Because now you’re eating this spaceship and nothing happens. What do I do? I eat another cake and another space cake because people said I would be tall when I eat these space cakes. “
She says that people think that it is safer to consume a spaceship than to smoke dew, but this is not the case as you have no control over the amount of dew you consume. Pretorius says the effects of the consumer’s well-being and mental health are serious.
“This overdose of cannabis is not really comfortable. Other than being paranoid, nauseous, drowsy, suffering from hallucinations and even panic attacks. Disability as they can not walk properly and they feel really bad. You can even go over yourself. “
The Gauteng Department of Community Safety has been running an intervention program for school safety with the aim of ridding schools of social ills that threaten the learning environment.
The department, with the help of the South African police, continues to take action to try to rid the schools of drugs.
Ofentse Morwane at the ministry says the growing number of drugs and drug use in schools is a cause for concern.
“We are concerned about the increasing number of drug cases and drug use in our schools. However, as part of the schools’ security plan, we continue to engage in security talks with students. We also do unexpected school searches that are under the control of law enforcement agencies in the district. We have tried in some schools to set up school safety desks where we assist a group of students on safety issues and how to report them. From January to March, we have carried out 589 interventions in school security in collaboration with various stakeholders in the various schools in the district, and this is the work we will continue to do to ensure that we enforce law and order in schools. ours. “
But the concern for most is whether these interventions will be effective in ridding schools of drugs and drug use, or whether much more needs to be done to ensure that schools remain drug-free zones.
SA’s government departments hear progress in the development of the cannabis framework program:
Growing concern over school students’ cannabis use in Gauteng – SABC News
Source link Growing concern over school students’ cannabis use in Gauteng – SABC News