South Africa

Here’s how the government is responding to KZN’s deadly floods

More than 400 people have been confirmed to have died after adverse weather conditions hit parts of KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape.

Health Minister Joe Phaahla during a briefing on April 28, 2022 Photo: GCIS.

CAPE TOWN – The government shared an update on its social services response to the KwaZulu-Natal floods on Thursday.

More than 400 people have been confirmed to have died after adverse weather conditions hit parts of KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape.

Ten days ago, the president announced the decision to declare a state of national disaster.

Now Health Minister Joe Phaahla is leading a Social Care, Community and Human Development Group briefing on the government’s response.

“It is really a very difficult situation that has befallen our people in these provinces, which has affected livelihoods and many lives have been lost. Families have lost loved ones and there is a lot of grief …we are beginning to work to convey our condolences to all the families who have lost loved ones,” the minister said.

Phaahla said comprehensive assessments had been carried out in communities to ensure that households and individuals had access to aid and services.

“People received, among other things, counseling services and food, other basic needs such as mattresses and blankets.

In addition, the teams have worked hard to provide psycho-social services in all these places. Social workers have already reached more than 16,000 people in this regard.”

He detailed how social services had been affected.

“In the case of KwaZulu-Natal, from SASSA’s point of view, there is only one office that was partially damaged, not completely. Our ministers from our group have over the past two weeks visited various parts, particularly KwaZulu-Natal. »

Phaahla said the Department of Social Development helped provide immediate relief to victims, while women, children, the elderly and people with disabilities were given priority.

“And in this capacity, he was able to establish 98 shelters, where more than 8,400 people are accommodated, in community halls, religious facilities, other temporary structures within the community. The majority of people are women, over 4,000, children, over 1,700, and also elderly people, over 1,000,” Phaahla said.

He said more than 3,000 flood victims had already benefited from the Distress Social Relief Grant with almost R5 million distributed.



Here’s how the government is responding to KZN’s deadly floods

Source link Here’s how the government is responding to KZN’s deadly floods

Back to top button