World

Mass COVID-19 tests announced for Beijing district amid ‘devastated’ outbreak – SABC News

Beijing’s most populous district Chaoyang announced three rounds of mass tests to combat a “devastated” COVID-19 outbreakk that arose at a bar in a nightlife and shopping center last week, shortly after the city laid out relaxed curbs during an outbreak in April.

City health officials say there have been 166 confirmed cases so far linked to the epidemic that began Thursday at the Heaven Supermarket bar in the Sanlitun area, 145 of them bar protectors.

Mass tests would take place between Monday and Wednesday in Chaoyang district, where the bar is located, officials said in a press release.

The total number of cases and deaths from the pandemic remains extremely low in China compared to many countries around the world.

But even as much of the world’s curbside has eased, Chinese authorities are maintaining their zero-COVID policies, trying to get outbreaks early to agree on measures including severe restrictions on movement and mass testing.

Xu Hejian, spokesman for Beijing’s city government, said Sunday’s briefing said the current epidemic in the capital was “devastating”.

“At the moment the risk of a further spread still exists. The most urgent task at the moment is to locate the source of the cluster as well as manage and control the risks, “he said, adding Beijing should prevent the emergence of” epidemic-boosters “.

Two buildings housing hundreds of residents in one Chaoyang complex were put under strike lockdown on Sunday after a single positive case, a housing committee worker told Reuters.

Large metal barricades were installed around the complex. Personnel in hazmat packs with disinfectant entered the building and extra security and police were brought in at the exits.

Several businesses nearby, including the “Paradise Massage & Spa” were also put under temporary lockdown with police tape and security personnel brought in to block the exits.

Mass COVID-19 tests announced for Beijing district amid ‘devastated’ outbreak – SABC News

Source link Mass COVID-19 tests announced for Beijing district amid ‘devastated’ outbreak – SABC News

Back to top button