Share this article:
TV, film and theater actress Sherine Thirty-Richard has been given a Category 2 special funeral by the South African Presidential Office.
The request was submitted to the government earlier this week by Thirty Richard’s family and Western Cape Prime Minister Alan Wind.
Family spokesman and local musician Alistair Isobel confirmed that President Cyril Ramaphosa had signed the application.
“The President has allowed Shaleen Thirty-Richard to hold a state funeral, officially signed by the President, thanks to the application we submitted to Prime Minister Alan Wind.
“Once this has been confirmed, we are following the process of making all the necessary preparations to carry out the permit given to the state category 2 funeral at 2:30 pm on Sunday,” said Isobell.
Fans added that they could watch the funeral on one of the major television networks that aired live throughout the parade.
According to the state funeral policy, a special Category 2 state funeral may be held for “a celebrity specially designated by the President of South Africa at the request of the Prime Minister.”
The TV icon was found dead at a guesthouse in Cape Town on Monday, June 7. There she was filming the scene for kykNet’s “Arendsvlei”.
Covid-19’s global pandemic and lockdown restrictions will limit attendance, but fans of Thirty Richard will be able to watch the march on television and pay the final respect.
President Cyril Ramaphosa paid tribute to the performers who became teachers.
“We have lost a family performer whose unique energy, artistic diversity and humility have impressed South African generations for over 30 years.
“On stage and on the screen, Sharine Thirty-Richard projected an unjust past and gave hope to the future as a nation.
“May her soul sleep peacefully,” Ramaphosa said.
President Cyril Ramaphosa grants Shaleen Surtie-Richards a provincial funeral Source link President Cyril Ramaphosa grants Shaleen Surtie-Richards a provincial funeral