World

Prince Charles criticizes Britain’s Rwanda plan: report

Prince Charles.

Photo: Steve Parsons – WPA Pool / Getty Images

Britain’s Prince Charles has called the government’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda “shocking”, a report said on Saturday after it released a legal challenge.

The British government plans to fly the first cargo of 31 victims to Rwanda on Tuesday – shortly before Charles is due to represent his mother Queen Elizabeth II at a Commonwealth summit in Kigali.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson – who is also set to attend the summit – welcomed his government’s victory in Friday’s High Court hearing, although an appeal is due to be heard on Monday.

“We can not allow human traffickers to put lives at risk, and our world-leading partnership will help break the business model of these ruthless criminals,” Johnson tweeted.

Charles, however, joined others, including senior Christian clergy, in condemning the plan and fears the issue could overshadow the Commonwealth Summit on 24-25. June, The Times reported.

“He said he was more than disappointed with the policy,” the newspaper quoted an unidentified source as saying.

“He said he finds the whole government’s approach appalling. It was clear he was not impressed with the government’s travel direction,” the source added.

A spokesman for Charles declined to comment on private talks, “except to reiterate that he remains politically neutral”.

“Political issues are decisions for the government,” the spokesman added.

The government says the one-way flights will deter asylum seekers from entering the UK through illegal routes, and offer those trying a new life in Rwanda instead.

More than 10,000 migrants have made the perilous sea voyage from France to the UK so far this year, a huge increase over previous years.

Prince Charles criticizes Britain’s Rwanda plan: report

Source link Prince Charles criticizes Britain’s Rwanda plan: report

Back to top button