Entertainment

SA’s R50 million donation to Cuba just the tip of R350 million iceberg, says AfriForum



The civil rights organization AfriForum has indicated that the South African government’s planned R50 million donation to Cuba is only a pocket change compared to the full planned donation that they hope to make.

The organization said on Monday that the actual amount of money given to Cuba was a massive R350 million and the R50 million was just the first of several installments.

AfriForum said it has obtained this information from court records as part of its request for review.

In a statement, AfriForum said that the South African government has reached an agreement with the Cuban government in terms of “the R50 million will be the first payment in excess of a quarter billion.

“AfriForum’s legal team is preparing their supplementary affidavit after obtaining a court record of their application for review.”

Reiner Duvenage, Campaign Officer for strategy and content at AfriForum, said these revelations were “deeply damaging”.

ALSO READ: Dirco is not giving up R50 million to Cuba, despite court losses

“It is now clear that the government is planning to donate more than a quarter of a billion rand to Cuba.”

He said this contract to donate R350 million was not in line with the laws, and said the measure was “completely unreasonable to make an over-redemption donation in these difficult times”.

“Our government borrows money from the IMF, but then considers it appropriate to donate much-needed funds to Cuba.

“Despite this terrible news, AfriFóram He is more optimistic than ever that we can stop this donation, ”Duvenage explained.

AfriForum first drew blood back in March when it successfully withdrew the grant.

Judge J Neukircher of the High Court in the Gauteng Division of Pretoria ruled that Cuba had not requested funds, but humanitarian aid in the form of medical supplies and food.

Last week the same court rejected an application for leave to appeal lodged by the Department of International Relations and Cooperation against said interdict.

Duvenage wondered why the government was so desperate to give the donation that it even decided to appeal against an interim dispute, in a move he has since described as “strange”.

  • This is an evolving story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

SA’s R50 million donation to Cuba just the tip of R350 million iceberg, says AfriForum Source link SA’s R50 million donation to Cuba just the tip of R350 million iceberg, says AfriForum

Back to top button