Tech

Slowdown from AS to digital TV is gaining momentum

The Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni.

South Africa is firmly on the path to broadcast digital migration (BDM), said Minister Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, noting the government’s commitment to meet the March 31, 2022 deadline.

Ntshavheni and a delegation from the Department of Communications and Digital Technologies yesterday briefed the media on the progress made in light of the government’s decision amended integrated BDM implementation plan and analog cutoff.

According to the minister, the department managed to conclude at the end of October the shutdown of analogue in the Free State, in accordance with the plan, without cutting television.

In addition, on Friday November 26, he will complete the decommissioning of the last analog SABC site in the Northern Cape, Upington. “I will also be visiting some TV homes. We are also on track to conclude the Northwest, as per plan.

“In terms of analogue cutoff sites, Sentech was able to deactivate the 84 MultiChoice analogue transmission sites, 113 of the 288 SABC analogue transmissions (40%) and four of the 95 (4%) analogue Etv transmissions. ”

She added that the last month was also used to increase the capacity of installers according to the integrated model managed according to the approved plan. “Sentech’s installation capacity for the remaining provinces has been created, and this will intensify installations in the following months in all remaining provinces.

“Limpopo and Mpumalanga, we are fully operational and we are also on the right track as these are the next provinces after Northern Cape and North West. We start with Gauteng, Eastern Cape, KZN and Western Cape in terms of facilities. While there have been other installations that we have done before, we are ramping up the installer there and also increasing household registrations.

After missing the June 2015 migration deadline imposed by the International Telecommunication Union, South Africa is catching up on digital migration. Moreover, the process of shutting down analogue in the country has been hampered by a series of missteps that have further hampered the process.

South Africa’s digital migration is important as it will unleash the spectrum dividend occupied by analogue signals for mobile broadband services.

The government is committed to helping needy households, who ask for help, with set-top boxes (STBs), which are needed to convert digital broadcast signals to analog TVs.

Needy households – those with an income of Rand 3,500 a month or less – had until the end of October to register for STB grants.

La Poste SA (SAPO) previously indicated to ITWeb that a total of 58,902 approved households signed up for set-top boxes in October, across the nine provinces.

However, yesterday, the minister indicated that 48,453 new registrations had been registered at the end of October. This, she noted, brings the total number of registered indigent households to just over 1.2 million.

“The process of registering indigent households continues and teams from the department, SAPO and USAASA [Universal Service and Access Agency of South Africa] are in various districts of our country to help needy households to register.

“A total of 572,255 beneficiary households were migrated out of the current total of 1,228,879. For the month of November, more than 30,000 new requests were registered.

The Minister noted that she and Deputy Minister Philly Mapulane took the time to visit the provinces to “observe firsthand the recording campaign, the installation of set-top boxes and the way people receive digital television” .

To increase the recordings of government-subsidized set-top boxes, Ntshavheni said that a recording website will go live on Monday, November 29.

In order to receive STBs, eligible households were required to register for these devices at their nearest SAPO branch.

For households that missed the October 31 application deadline for set-top boxes, they were told they could still apply, even if they won’t receive their set-top boxes until after next year’s switchover deadline. .

The website, the minister said, will allow online registrations for set-top boxes. “SITA [State IT Agency] is also in the process of finalizing the registration link which can be used by those with USSD phones / phone features or Lipopotane, as they are sometimes known in local languages. “

Ntshavheni adds, “South African citizens who still receive TV services directly from an antenna / pole mounted antenna and do not have a set-top box or smart TV, should find a set-top box. or a TV to be able to receive digital television.

“For the list of digital TVs, Freeview compatible TVs and smart TVs, you can call or WhatsApp the call center on 0860 736 832 and WhatsApp 0600 625 458, or visit the websites of the Department of Communications and Digital Technologies. “

She recalled that households already connected via DStv, OVHD, StarSat and the TelkomOne platform will not be affected by the shutdown of analog.

“If you are not eligible for the government set-top box and still need to migrate to digital, please contact the broadcaster mentioned above and arrange your digital installation.

“If you have a digital smart TV and live in an area covered by a digital terrestrial network, you don’t need an additional set-top box. Test whether your TV has a digital tuner by performing a manual or automatic channel search.

Slowdown from AS to digital TV is gaining momentum

Source link Slowdown from AS to digital TV is gaining momentum

Back to top button