Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky asked on Thursday why the European Union was dissatisfied with the additional sanctions against Russia and why some countries are allowed to block the plan.
The European Union (EU) is discussing a sixth punitive action, including a ban on imports of Russian crude oil.
The move requires unanimity, but Hungary opposes the idea for the time being on the grounds that the economy will suffer too much.
* President Zelensky complained about additional sanctions on Russia, including a ban on oil exports from within the European Union, and asked why some countries were allowed to block the plan following Hungarian objections.
* The World Health Organization (WHO) General Assembly passed a motion condemning the regional health emergency sparked by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and rejected a competing resolution in Moscow that did not address Russia’s role in the crisis.
* Finland’s prime minister said Russia’s actions in Ukraine marked a turning point in the world and that relations with Moscow cannot return to the state they were before the invasion.
go for it
* Pro-Russian separatists in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic say they have taken full control of Lehman, a small but strategic city in eastern Ukraine.
* Foreign Minister Dmitro Kuleva said the military situation in eastern Ukraine is much worse than what people say and that to fight Russia effectively we need heavy weapons.
* Russian shelling killed at least seven civilians and injured 17 in the city of Kharkiv in northeastern Ukraine, authorities said.
* As the US and its allies provide Ukraine with increasingly sophisticated weapons, Washington has discussed with Kyiv the escalating risk if Kiev strikes deep into Russia, US and foreign officials told Reuters.
* Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has warned the West that supplying Ukraine with weapons capable of striking Russian territory would be “serious measures towards unacceptable expansion”, Tass news agency reported.
* The ruble expanded losses after the central bank cut interest rates, suggesting further cuts, and plunged in a previous session as prospects of easing capital controls and a possible state default hit the currency.
* The White House said it expects to have minimal impact on the U.S. and global economy from potential Russian defaults as Washington decides not to extend the exemptions Russia can pay to U.S. bondholders.
* Russian President Vladimir Putin and Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi have discussed ways to alleviate the international food crisis, and the Kremlin has said it will only be possible if the West lifts sanctions.
Summary: Ukraine-Russia Conflict | What you need to know now – SABC News
Source link Summary: Ukraine-Russia Conflict | What you need to know now – SABC News