Vengeful Sharks crush Dragons to keep URC playoff hopes alive

Shark wing Werner Kok

Darren Stewart/Gallo Pictures

  • The Sharks made up for their disappointing performance against Edinburgh with a 51-3 win over the Dragons at Kings Park.
  • The Sharks scored six unanswered tries as the Dragons had no reaction to the Sharks’ direct power.
  • The win moved the Sharks to sixth place with 41 points from 14 games, but the Bulls and the Stormers have yet to play on Saturday.

The Sharks redeemed themselves for their appalling display against Edinburgh last week with a comprehensive 51-3 win over the Dragons in their United Rugby Championship clash at Kings Park on Friday.

The Sharks’ eighth win in 14 games gave them 41 points and sixth place, beating the Stormers.

The Sharks were fully worthy for their five points and huge lead over the win. They kept their rugby simple and uncompromising.

That meant the visitors left Durban with bruises and blows, summed up when keyless striker Ross Moriarty was sent off with a knee injury in the 28th minute

SUMMARY | United Rugby Championship: Sharks 51-3 Dragons

There may have been a lot of people in Kings Park, but the Sharks didn’t value entertainment. Not that they cared.

It was the tries they wanted and they got it in the form of half a dozen touchdowns over the course of 80 minutes.

The first half saw two goals from Retshegofaditswe ‘Ox’ Nche in the 29th minute and Bongi Mbonambi six minutes later.

It was a power play forward at the highest level from the hosts, who dominated every scrum and won the collisions.

Nche crossed the whitewash under the bars after the sharks continued to relentlessly pound the dragon’s defenses.

URC log placement

Bok hooker Mbonambi rumbled over from a rolling maw as visitors had no footing in the physical exchange.

Where there were no attempts to reward physical dominance, Curwin Bosch’s marksmanship returned to keep the pressure on the visitors.

The block then heated up for the Dragons when Werner Kok not only ran around 50 yards to score the Sharks’ third try, but sliced ​​through the Dragons’ defense like a hot knife through butter in the 48th minute.

It got even hairier for the guests when they not only fired two penalties in the 59th and 63rd minute, but were reduced to 13 men.

The first yellow card was awarded to Flyhalf Josh Lewis, who got in the way of a Marius Louw pass that would have thrown Curwin Bosch away for a try.

The second was collected by reserve scrumhalf Lewis Jones, who knocked down Jaden Hendrickse’s pass that would have gone to Siya Kolisi for a try.

Anthony Volmink then entered the scoring charts when he galloped over the line in the 68th minute and gave Bosch his second conversion of the second stanza.

The Sharks then missed two opportunities to further embarrass the visitors, with assistant passenger-side referee Cwengile Jadezweni ruling Sikhumbuzo Notshe’s pass to Grant Williams was forward.

Replays showed the pass was flat and the Sharks capitalized on another opportunity where Williams failed to hold a falling Notshe pass.


sharks: (23) 51

Attempts: Retshegofaditswe Nche, Bongi Mbonambi, Werner Kok, Penalty Attempt (2), Anthony Volmink

Tags: Curwin Bosch (4)

Penalty: Bosch (3)

dragon: (3) 3

Penalty: Josh Lewis

Vengeful Sharks crush Dragons to keep URC playoff hopes alive

Source link Vengeful Sharks crush Dragons to keep URC playoff hopes alive

Back to top button